View Single Post
Old 28-10-2023, 11:56 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I may be giving you the wrong information but I had previously done a lot of research on the cameras. As mentioned in another topic here there are calculators to help match a camera to a telescope and focal length is a big part of that matching up.
Both scopes have a reasonably long focal length and from memory the cameras with the larger pixel size are better suited to longer focal length telescopes. F ratio (focal length divided by objective size) and primary objective all come into it from memory.
This was some time ago and I don't remember a lot, other than a huge dislike for the company.

Personally I was looking at the ZWO ASI294MM (mono) or MC (colour) for my longer focal length telescopes.
I'll see if I can find one of the calculators in a few minutes.

As for control the cameras are USB so a laptop is probably your best option with the right software, especially if you're doing software guiding. I believe ZWO have some WiFi devices to interface but I haven't looked into that side of it for some time

I believe the Raspberry pi and similar devices can do the same with attached storage but they are sans monitor.

I used the Bintel calculator as I was purchasing the camera from them, a camera I didn't end up getting due to no stock in Australia and their failure to contact me when it was eventually available, though having provided a firm quote on over $3,000 worth of mono kit with an assurance I'd be contacted the minute they were available (Not a lot of money I guess in the scheme of things but on disability pension it was a huge sum for me).
I ended up buying an used Nikon D810 full frame DSLR extremely cheap instead which I can use for other daily photography too but it's way too heavy for astro stuff in reality

https://www.bintel.com.au/tools/astronomy-calculator/

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability

It's a rabbit hole that appears to get very deep when you start going into full well capacities, cooling and everything else related.

Good luck!

Leo