View Single Post
Old 28-06-2018, 11:35 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Dust storm certainly explains why I seem to be losing detail. Is there a good mars weather source I can consult for my image times to help me work out if its dust or my focus that is the problem?

I've been taking captures for the past month, making adjustments to my setup and the event gave me the push I needed to pick up a new ZWO to improve my images for this and other targets later on. With Jupiter Saturn and Mars and the moon fairly easy targets for me at civilised hours its been a good time to experiment with settings and getting gear and technique tweaked. I've taken my best images of those planets now with the newer cam. Still havent tried adding my powermate and adc into the train yet but I should soon. Its overall a very good season for data on MJS.

A few weeks ago when I started imaging these planets regularly I felt rushed and wasn't confident about my setup and settings aside from my physical issues. But now I've refined and improved things I can be out and imaging faster with better results and feel more relaxed about what I've got. Quick processing I know Ive got some super crisp shots that I am very pleased with already so the pressure is off now and I can get outside and relax into the process and spend a bit more time each session to experiment to get the mount stable and focus more spot on. I'm comfortable trusting firecaptures focus helper now instead of just my eyes. (hoping to order electric focuser soon too, so no more scope wobble during focusing)