Thread: Qhy/atik 16200
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2018, 08:20 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Qhy/atik 16200

Currently I'm a very happy and long-time owner of a QHY 12 OSC camera and still think it is a great camera. The problem is though that even with a CLS filter I rarely bother to take images from my backyard observatory because I'm so close to the CBD the raw data is never as good as I know I can get. If I lived under dark skies I don't think I would change it, but I want to do more imaging than once a year at Astrofest. The effort of taking everything to dark skies is onerous.

I know there is a huge discussion these days about the death of CCD and the rise of CMOS and everyone is raging about the ASI 1600. I don't doubt the CMOS revolution is coming, but I'm not certain it has quite slayed the CCD just yet.

With that in mind, if you were buying a mono CCD camera today which would you buy? I'm open to suggestions but I like the look of the 16200 and both QHY and Atik make cameras using this chip. Does anyone actually own and use either of these? If so, I'd like to hear what you think of them.

How come the Atik one is physically so massive compared to the slim, sleek QHY?

The camera is to use on my APM 152mm f8 refractor reduced to f6.

Chris