View Single Post
Old 18-09-2011, 02:09 PM
hotspur (Chris)

operating PHD-advice sought.

Hello.

I am trying to get up into AGing,but having a few issues.Made some progress,but still getting egg stars.Some advanced astrophotographer
with a great wealth of tech skills,recently visited and checked gear-did som tightening of RA and DEC on mount.But the guiding still produced eggs.

Fiddled with PHD brain settings.But not much joy.The backlash clearing of the dec,seemed to take a long time.I have since been advised by a another astronomer,that dec is usually where issue arise.And that trying it without dec correction turned on,or only N or S correction.May be a path to a solution.

So will try that.What do the Dec alogrith-low pass and resist switching mean,and how to apply/not apply them?

What 'min motion pixels' should a very small 'finder guider; 200 mm guide scope be set at?

Also what calibration step should a small 200 mm finder guider be set at?
some say 1000 plus other say lower than 500.

So,really unsure of the above settings and how to apply them,to try and get nice round stars at 5 min subs.

Did a bit of reserch-sounds like issues in PHD-dec settings are not uncommon.

I have a Vixen GPD2 mount that is always on pier in an observatory-so PA is very much lined up well,and checked.

Any ideas,suggestions or links would be well received-thanks,Chris