View Single Post
Old 19-06-2015, 01:46 PM
konstantinos75

Hi

I have found some time to experiment more with my equipment and my problem with the elongated stars.

To remind you this is my equipment
- Vixen VC200L operating at f/6.4
- SBIG ST2000xm dual chip camera
- Skywatcher HEQ5 synscan pro mount
- Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope with focal length 180mm

I have performed the following tests

test1)

point the telescope to the East - target star Vega

- take 1 sec exposure without guiding; as you can see the stars are round so this excludes problem with collimation of the telescope optics.
- start autoguiding, guiding scope is 9x50 finderscope, PHD guiding software is used
take 1 min and 2 min exposures of Vega; as you can see the stars are elongated in both images.
Please find attached the PHD logs
Also have a look at image1.JPG, this is the PHD lab output after inserting the PHD logs

test2)

point the telescope to Zenith - target star Mizar

- take 1 sec exposure without guiding; as you can see the stars are round so this excludes problem with collimation of the telescope optics.
- start autoguiding, guiding scope is 9x50 finderscope, PHD guiding software is used
take 1 min, 5 min, 10 min exposure of Mizar; as you can see the stars are almost round in all images.
Please find attached the PHD logs
Also have a look at image2.JPG, this is the PHD lab output after inserting the PHD logs

test3)

point the telescope to the East - target star Vega

- start autoguiding, guiding scope is VC200L, guiding camera is SBIG ST2000XM with dual chip ST237, MaximDL is used as a guiding software
take 2 min, 5 min, 15 min exposure of Vega; as you can see the stars are elongated in all images.
Please find attached the MaximDL logs
Also have a look at image3.JPG, this is the MaximDL graph output

test4)

point the telescope to Zenith - target star Alkaid

- start autoguiding, guiding scope is VC200L, guiding camera is SBIG ST2000XM with dual chip ST237, MaximDL is used as a guiding software
take 2 min, 15 min exposure of Alkaid; as you can see the stars are almost round in all images.
Please find attached the MaximDL logs
Also have a look at image4.JPG, this is the MaximDL graph output

You can download all the files here
http://www.albireo.gr/tmp/all.rar

So judging from these test results I have come to the conclusion that my problem can be caused by
(a) flexure by the VC200L focuser since a heavy camera SBIG ST2000xm is connected to this focuser
(b) HEQ5 mount has problem with RA motor; backlash present in RA; mount needs adjustment

I would like to hear your opinion also about my conclusion.

Thank you
Konstantinos
www.albireo.gr
Greece