View Single Post
Old 25-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Thanks everyone, it really is a labour of love Now if only I could get someone to do it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
That’s is very impressive Colin and I really like the Gigapan resource. Definitely something that I am going to explore for a large mosaic that I have been working on. Nice work
Do it do it do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Impressive Colin. Hours of fun to explore there. I like your idea of a long term themed project rather than jumping from object to object. Something for more of us to consider.
I've go a few hundred hours of data on this so far but there is a fair bit more I'd like to continue gathering in the next month or two weather permitting. It's worthwhile doing some larger projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
That's cool Colin, lovely to pan around with such detail. I know it's only early, but maybe you should explain the equipment and processing more in the site description section?
It's been taken with my Sky Rover 130mm refractor and a D810 so each panel is 3ºx2º.
Processing, well that's a different kittle of fish altogether! Every individual panel gets stacked separately. I'm then using AstroPixelProcessor to create mini 3x3 mosaics as a way of removing large scale gradients and doing some field curvature correction. I then open the resulting files in PixInsight, create synthetic star fields and extract the individual fields back out from the 3x3 mosaic so that large scale gradients have been removed along with now having no field curvature.
Every panel then have exactly the same processing done to it so that when I use AutoPano Giga to recreate the mosaic again everything is gradient free and has the same processing done to them.

Where I've become unstuck with the bottom of the mosaic here is that the frames themselves were captured <30º above the horizon and the FOV is large enough that atmospheric refraction can be seen within the individual frames. So I'm thinking I'll have to recapture parts of this again just to remove the star colour gradients because I cannot fix that through processing. Very high airmass is a real pain!