View Single Post
Old 22-09-2007, 08:58 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
i think that full frame camera's are over-rated, there aren't "huge" differences between a 1.6 crop and a full frame,
I should add that I'm not chasing resolution.

I mostly use my 20D for terrestrial, so that won't change with any new camera and I'm more than happy with the performance and resolution of the 20D.

One thing that frustrates me with the current 1.6 crop factor is the wider Depth Of Field; DOF at any given focal length on a 1.6 crop camera is greater, I miss the effects of the narrower depth of field of my film SLR (they're still there just not as pronounced). Secondly, it's hard to get a decent wide angle for a 1.6 crop SLR. (17mm F/L on full frame is equivalent to 28mm on a 1.6 sensor)

Add to that the possibility (I believe certainty) that eventually 1.6 crop will disappear, then any investment in quality lenses will need to be future proof.

You can add dust proofing to the equation, Canon's L series lenses are dustproof, where as the others in the series are not.

The new features of the 40D (and hopefully the 5D replacement), particularly live focus and the fact that my current camera's resale value is evaporating rapidly, mean that the time for change is probably optimal.