View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Imaging with a powermate...

So...

Current setup is a Canon EOS70d & either an 80mm f6 triplet or a 130mm f5 Newt mounted on an AZEQ6 & about to embark upon guiding using a ZWO ASI224MC & 60mm guidescope controlled through Stellarmate.

I've been looking at various targets that I might like to have a crack at & M83 has grabbed my attention.. however, at prime focus in either of these setups, it's not gonna be a particularly large object...

So... I got to thinking... what if I add a powermate... I currently own a 1.25" 2.5x powermate... hmmm, then I thought... I can't use my coma corrector with that on the newt (size) or, for that matter my field flattener on the Refractor (size again)...

So, then I did some googling & stumbled across an old thread asking similar questions by Stonius... got a partial answer.. seems I might not need the flattener if I introduce a powermate...

What about a Coma corrector on the Newt?

I understand that introducing either a barlow or powermate also changes the FL of my scope by the factor of the barlow.. ie: 2x barlow would render the 80mm at f12 & the 130mm Newt at f10...

So, 2nd question... if I introduce a powermate should I go with 2x or 4x... &, what problems am I potentially setting myself up for here that I haven't thought about?

Thanks in advance...

PS: Ryan... if you are reading this, I'm just asking.... LOL...