Thread: 35mm Slide Film
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney_vt View Post
unfortunately in both instances it was know exactly what the images were of and still I got back not so good. Without taking up too much of your time can you breifly explain whats involved in developing the film myself? Do you mean buying a 35mm film scanner? or is it more then that?

Dave
Dave - I know of the guys at Trannys by reputation, and I'm surprised at your results. One thing you need to do is sit there with them and refine the scanning process for your particular batch of film. Don't just scan and accept the default results. They're professionals, so insist on getting what you want. These guys definitely know what they're doing as they've serviced the very expensive side of the glamour advertising trade for a long, long time. Their drum scanners are top of the line (DaiNippon Screen, etc) and these devices' scanning ability way exceeds the grain of your film. They can tweak the scanning procedure to soften the contrast and then post-process it to your satisfaction. Maybe they were under the assumption that you, yourself, might be going to perform your own post processing and just didn't go through it because of that?

Can you put a link up to the original scan for us to look at rather than your small thumbnail? How large did they scan the image file to? As i said before, they should get a scan of over a gigabyte if you want it. Maybe they just thought you wanted web-quality scans like most people would.