View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Brand new they come with very good quality pick & pluck foam but, they're around $700...

I picked mine up second hand, it had the foam in it but, it had already been used for whatever the chap had stored in it. I was going to get some foam (not pick & pluck) from Clark rubber & cut out the holes I needed using an electric carving knife. Probably would have cost me $100 or so if I went that route...

Genuine replacement foam from Pelican was about $200 plus so, my case was starting to look expensive again if I went that route...

In the end, I figured there was enough pick & pluck foam left in the case to do what I needed to do but, I had to figure out how I could glue bits together so that, bits didn't come out or move when putting the scope in our out.

After a bit of googling, I discovered that spray contact adhesive was the thing to use.. so, I assembled the remnants of the pick & pluck foam & carefully worked out how to maintain the largest bits complete & construct the padding for the scope...one I had each layer (there are two layers of pick & pluck) I carefully stuck blocks of foam together. The pic I attached is the one before I stuck it all together. This cost me about $30 in spray adhesive

I then left the case open for about a week or so to make sure the glue outgassed before being used to transport my scope..

It's worked out really well; personally, I wouldn't buy a new one at $700 but, if you can find a secondhand one with plenty of foam left in it, you can make it work for a fraction of the cost...

Just a case of checking Gumtree & FB marketplace, etc.. til one comes up locally.

I was almost about to get a cargo case & look at attaching wheels when this one popped up...

This is the key factor you need to be looking at for any case/box you are looking at; this is the Interior Dimensions (L x W x D) 28.5 x 17.37 x 10.5" (72.4 x 44.1 x 26.7 cm) for the 1650, I don't know the dimensions of the LX200 10" but, this one was perfect for my LX90 8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredinBroome View Post
Well done Carlton, that's exactly the sort of thing I want to achieve. Does the Pelican case come complete with foam ready to cut mate?