View Single Post
Old 24-08-2020, 09:37 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Setting up the AZ-EQ6

Hi, I have got two threads started on here as i thought it might be easier to split them up as they are both two different questions.

So i have just made the move to a AZ-EQ6 mount, coming from a Dobsonian goto mount.
The Dobsonian goto mount worked great, but wanting to do a bit more astropotograhy work, decided to get a AZ-EQ6 mount aswell.

So to get it roughly lined up, i kind of did the basic way.
Found out when the solar noon was, a got a rod into the ground where i want to observe from.
Waited till the correct time and ran a calk line across the shadow, I figured this would give me true South?

Set the mount up with one leg on the chalk line, found the middle of the other two legs and the half way point sits in the middle of the chalk line.

So in theory the mount should be facing exactly South.
Got the mount dead level, put an angle meter on the mounts head and got it to spot on to me current elevation of 41 degrees.

Having a bit of trouble finding the Octans stars in the polar scope, made worse as my current phone app has stopped working ( previous post )

First star is Hadar as it is easy to see for me and up at a good angle.
Second star, handheld unit keep saying searching all the time, searches for at least 4 - 5 seconds and then dose the same again.
Kind of keeps going in short loops with only maybe 10 stars, but takes about a minute or more to get through them.
Tries my handset from the Dobsonian and the same thing happens.

Have i got a faulty head unit on the AZ-EQ6? or is it just my setup just too rough?

On the Dobsonian i usually pick Spica and Hadar and tings are spot on, but as mentioned, handset is playing up searching for the second star.

Sorry for the long drawn out questions, just trying to give as much information as possible in the hope someone can advise me on what might be the issue.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.