View Single Post
Old 25-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, Greg. Phil's got the address for you.

Phil, I recall you've mentioned that DPP got the printing right for you on a couple of occasions. I still use Photoshop for printing because I run sharpening routines as well as brightening curves over the files before I print them.

One point to note is not to expect great results from DLO on very high ISO images. It introduces a lot of edge artefacts.

I would love it if people posted their before and after results in this thread.

It is an excellent module.

I will continue to extoll the virtues of using native proprietary software over and above reverse-engineered third party software.

Regardless of the fact that Canon provides an SDK for developers to write their own tools to decode the RAW files, none of them produce natural results that DPP does. I have always felt that we spend thousands of dollars on gear, why should third party software let you down? When I was uninformed I used to use Lightroom. I stopped using Lightroom because it kept aping the skin tones in my wedding images. People often say they use camera profiles for ACR to mimic DPP. Why should you have to? You've got a tool that does everything. If more work needs to be done on an image, there's an export to Photoshop menu item.

I, for one, expect to see on my computer screen what was on the back of the camera when I took the image. Not what Adobe et. al. thought the camera saw. DPP is the only tool that shows you exactly what your investment captured.

Zealotly yours,
H

Last edited by Octane; 25-04-2012 at 01:48 PM.