View Single Post
Old 17-10-2018, 02:17 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Amazon Australia is USELESS and vastly overpriced. They will fail and fail big time with their ripoff prices.

Amazon US is far, far better. I'm yet to see a local retailer be cheaper than Amazon US for anything that I've been after. Contrast this to Amazon Australia, where every single item I've looked at has not only been 2-3 times more expensive than the exact same item on the US site, but more expensive than local retailers too.

I had hopes that Amazon would force local retailers to drop prices and be competitive but alas...

Now, as a side thought...if Amazon is basically a shop front for local retailers to sell products, then that means that I am buying effectively from small retailers. Now, and this is where I question things - with regards to the new GST laws on Internet sales, if I'm buying from a local retailer who is fulfilling the item, and if they have less than 50k sales to Australia p.a, then I shouldn't have to pay ANY GST on said item.

Why is our government forcing overseas vendors like Amazon US to charge GST then...isn't that criminal behaviour (extortion)?