View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:34 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi again, Well looks like things are not going to well for me in regards of this telescope.
Replacement handset didn't solve the issue.
Did some more testing and this is what i came back with:

So set up the hand set as follows:

Using the app called Synscanlnit 2.1

Set Longitude, E 146° 23'
Set Latitude, S 41Set Longitude, E 146° 23'
Set Latitude, S 41° 15'
Set Time, + 10:00
Set Elevation, + 0032 m (also used 0000 m but made no difference)
Date, 08/24/2018
Enter time, 19:45
Daylight Saving NO 15'
Set Time, + 10:00
Set Elevation, + 0032 m
Date, 09/10/2018
Enter time, 19:45
Daylight Saving NO

I set the scope up facing North, Level so that it was reading Zero on the side scale, ( time was around 7:46 PM )

Selected Hadar as the first star in the 2 star alignment setup

Coordinates for Hadar were 220° 22.0' + 43° 58.5

Selected Fomalhaunt as the second star.

Using an app called SkySafari 5 it showed Fomalhaunt at around E 100 ( very rough measurement )

The scope slewed right past it and unded up close to 100 degrees West of it, ( Roughly ended up at N 345 )

I did another test while also, turned everything off, ( scope still facing North and Level, reading Zero )

Went through start up process, but selected no at star alignment, then selected show position.

Using handset, moved scope to Hadar and the reading was:

Dec = -10° 25'28

RA = 21h51m20.85

Next, setup scope facing south, same setup in choosing Hadar as the first star and then Fomalhaunt as the second star.

Same thing happened, but this time the scope ended up at N335, so around 10 degrees less than the first time, but roughly in the same position.

Did the same test as the North one in selecting show position.

This time when i slewed it around to Hadar it read:

DEC = -05° 03'21

RA = 16h 45m38.0s

I am hoping some of this information might be of some help as i am now at a total loss as to what is going on and what could be the issue.

A bit of a concern as it is slewing no where even remotely close on the two star alignment.

Not really sure what to make of those numbers, but Andrews have said that i need to send the base back.
I am hoping i can find some way of testing to see what is going on first as with the warranty claim, it states that i have to pay for the freight of the base over there:

Freight and Handling
You (the customer) will be responsible for costs incurred in returning the faulty item to Tasco for assessment. You can choose any shipping method when returning an item to Tasco (courier, reg post etc). In turn, Tasco will cover all costs in returning the repaired/replaced item back to you (using StarTrack Express courier or registered post).

Explanation of our Warranty Terms
In the event of a warranty claim for a faulty item, Tasco can opt to: 1. repair the item, 2. offer a replacement item, 3. issue a store credit against future purchases, 4. issue a refund. In most cases, Tasco will attempt to resolve the warranty claim by taking the above steps in the order they are shown.

Getting to be a real headache now.
Cheers.
Peter.