View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Thanks Rick, how would you combine the channels, Ha to red and the O3 to the G and B? What ratios would you use?
Hi George,

IIRC, you're a PI user?

My usual approach these days is to match the intensities of the Ha and Oiii (using LinearFit) then make a straight HOO combine. Then I adjust the colour to taste using a combination of the Hue Curve in CurvesTransformation (brilliant for adjustments like pushing cyan to blue) and masks (mainly created with the ColorMask script) with a variety of other curves (R, G, B, a*, b*).

Some folks probably prefer to use various blends of Ha and Oiii as the R/G/B channel values to try to get closer to their desired colours with the initial combination. I used to do this but now I find I can usually push the colours where I want them to go, though it can take some effort!

The main reason I might go for an unequal HOO would be to get more Oiii to emphasise the spokes.

Here's an old Helix of mine that I'm pretty sure started as a straight HOO: http://www.astrobin.com/68705/?image...age=3&nc=&nce=

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Rick.