Thread: Hong Kong E-Bay
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2008, 02:32 PM
billche

Hong Kong E-Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgodf View Post
See the Nikon website: http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle.php?pageid=65-52b9b66212

And note this bit - "Owners of grey items may not be able to download online software and firmware upgrades available from the Nikon site, due to incompatible serial numbers."

And you can't register on the web in the other countries unless you have an address in that country...a bummer for firmware updates to cameras
I cannot agree with that as I just bought a Nikon D300 from HK 6 months ago and I also got the firmware upgrade on the net 3 weeks ago.

More on that topic, I would like to share my opion and experience to all of you my friends.

I purchase more than 90% of man's toy from HK either ebay, online shop or in person, ranging from AD$11000 Sony projector to AU$20 USB-serial adeptor (the price quoted are aussie price, i paid of course much cheaper). During these 9 years there was ONLY 1 item failed me (the Denon DVD player). I would like all of you my friends ask yourself a question, "how many items that failed with the warranty period?"

Regarding buying stuff from ebay (or online), we have to make sure the price is actually quote price+S&H, it is NOT only applied to Hong Kong.

Regarding to camera, you are right, the body are not warranted ontside HK but the Lens are.

In response to some of you that goods form a small stall in Hong Kong are "water goods", I do not agree too. The so called small shop/stall also sell "retailer goods" and this applied to the BIG shop too. My experience is "water goods" is cheapest, then the "retailer goods" to the most expensive "Aussie goods". After all, these goods are from the same factory, either Japan, Thailand, Malaysia or China. When I was living in HK, I normally go for the "Water goods" as they are cheaper, and with the low fault rate, I don't really care about the warranty, at the end they just a toy. I came from HK too. ;-)

Some of you mentioned about the $200-300 different and should not compromise the warranty issue. It depends!!!! if the price is just 500 then I would say 200 different is killing me. One of the example, I bought a Nikon flash SB800 last month from ebay HK at about AU$380, price different is roughly 100, do you think its a small amount or small in percentage??

Someone also quot the bhphotovideo.com and the quikshop.com, I tried both of them and they are good shop. Please be noted that quikshop is actually based in Hong Kong.:-)

At the end, I believed we just feel uncomfort when we see the word "from Chinxxxx" as it go beyond our comfort zone. I work in an international company and a lot of my colleagues go to HK or China and they just enjoy the shopping overthere and they will also give whoever going there a shopping list to see if that someone can help.

Wish this would not offenced anyone of you my friend.