Thread: 3d printers
View Single Post
Old 13-12-2017, 07:27 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Hi Sil,
Been checking those out but I still don't see anything I'd want to print. My interest is in building new components for scopes , bikes etc. Most of the stuff I see is just another variation on a phone holder or some wee sculpted critter.
I need to get my head around using 3D design software to build eg Scope truss brackets or focuser components. I don't do model planes, rockets, robotics, drones or whatever so no desire to go there. I want stuff I can actually use and cannot be fabricated easily any other way. At present the Lathe\mill manages most of this.
But I'll keep looking and checking just to see if something changes my mind.. Must be a good reason somewhere. If and when then I'll be in like Flynn..
The thing is that most online videos show people printing off useless gadgets with bright coloured filaments, but there's so much more that can be achieved with a 3D printer. Although they may only print plastic it doesn't mean that you only have to make things in plastic. You can always combine it with other materials and together with some electronics the amount of use increases, but things don't always have to be functional.

Sometimes you find that you want to make something look aesthetically more pleasing. Everyone likes a pretty bike. I find that most people just print something and leave it at that which is perfectly fine. However, in the real world most things go through some kind of finishing process which might be something to add to your prints (Useful for prototypes and presentations).

A couple of little things I've made for my astro gear are:
Filter wheel housing. It's a cheap manual one which sometimes let stray light so I made a new one that's better sealed and also eliminates dust from getting in there as well.

Focuser housing. The old one looked liked a retro TV remote that wouldn't close with the battery in place. Now the battery fits properly, it's ergonomically friendly and has nice modern curves.

While these aren't overly complex or sophisticated things they are useful for me.