View Single Post
Old 16-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Hagar (Doug)

G'Day Rob, Yes I have had both cameras ans still have a QHY8 Pro. My personal choise would be to go for the 8 Pro. The rgulated cooling is worth every cent of the extra money. It means you can develope a good dark library which is truely temprature specific. In most cases this camera can get away without any darks as long as imaging is done at -15 to -25 degrees. The other big plus I found between the two cameras was the ability to start your imaging night off by setting the temprature at around the zero mark and keeping it there while you frame your target and setup your focus. By doing this, any moisture in the camera has a chance to settle on the cold metal cold finger while the CCD is just above freezing point. Then run the temp down to -20 for the main imaging run. By doing this I have never had any moisture settle and frost up the CCD. I would suggest you speak to Theo and purchase a null nosepiece. I mount a camera adapter on the front of my nose piece which I knocked the filter out of and have a UV/IR filter on the front of this. This reduces reflections to near enough to nil and reflections were always my bug bear with both the QHY8 and 8 Pro. Others manage them differently but I have been happy enough using this method.

In a nutshell, get the pro.

If you need any assistance give me a call. 0428544481 or doug.braidwood on skype.

Cheers