View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 01:47 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I've had success with CCDC.

QSI have released a beta firmware update that sorts out my previous issue of CCDC not being able to select high or low gain depending on whether your binning 1x1 or 2x2. You can now select that "automatically", which is what most other cameras do. I'm yet to try this out at the scope, but will hopefully get some clear weather in a fortnight's time.

CCDC interfaces with Maxim and Focusmax. It uses the Pinpoint LE that came with Maxim, so no need to spend dollars on the full version of Pinpoint. Copes with meridian flips and finds guide stars via the OAG on my QSI583 using a Lodestar autoguider. I'm using an FS-102 Tak, so our setups are similar. It also uses the AAG cloudwatcher, which is considerable cheaper than a Boltwood. Mark Bolton has one of these out at Leyburn - I've been watching how it compares to his All Sky Camera and the results are reliable.

I've run it via Remote Desktop Client and Team Viewer, so you should be able to interface with it via the internet, although I've only run it from 20m away.

For the record, you don't need a shutter for your autoguider. I'm happily using a dark library that was shot with the lens cap on the front of the scope. The lodestar is a fair bit cheaper than the STI.

DT