View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 12:03 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Paul

Its been quite a few months since I did any automated runs, but a few thoughts on the process of finding the right software:

- Its worth trying out trial versions for them all if you can while you're right there with the gear
- There is a lot of variation in how the user interface is done
- Initially I found CCDAutopilot most intuitive, but lots of trouble (albeit with my basic gear) reliably acquiring a guide star with my 50mm finder/SSAG setup (BIG problem as you say)
- CCDCommander much less fancy interace, but rock solid operation (has never crashed on me), powerful options, great support

What sort of software do you have and plan to use for plate solving and planetarium support? There are variations in how closely those integrate with different programs.

I find its easier to pull out a CCDC script and tweak it to what I'm doing than bother programming Maxim now, regardless or whether I plan to go to bed or not. I'm usually only asleep upstairs or in a nearby tent, and set CCDC to call my mobile using Skype if an error is generated.

No experience running remotely over internet sorry. Believe ACP is designed from ground up to do this sort of thing via browser. Outside my price range.