View Single Post
Old 14-06-2012, 07:33 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nuffin, I'm just a KM man, thats all.
Canon make some damn good glass, some of the best in fact but for spme reason I've never been a fan of their controls and stuff.

I bought a KM 7000i way back after damaging my eye. First autofocussing camera (Film) that really worked for me ( and I was doing weddings ). It got stolen and I had to replace it with a Nikon as it was no longer available. That got stolen ( thieves returned 6 weeks later !! ) and got replaced again, another Nikon film. I held off on digital because the resolution was not there till I saw the KM 7D and it just fell into my hand and fitted like a glove. Controls were all there in the right places and at the time I was getting into motorsports photog, Rally mainly. It was a stunning piece of engineering and the degree of control exceeded anything at the time.
Sony bought KM out later and have some nice stuff around but could not justify spending more. In fact I use my wee pocket Fujifilm more often these days.
But for Astro the support is not there and Canon seems the best bet to take another step up the ladder so find the best option in the range and just go for it.
Horses for courses as they say. Could happily gone NIkon but Canon seem to have the lead in this area. Liveview and camera control are the biggies.

If you're commenting about the ' Wouldn't want to be seen at a Motorsports event holding a Canon " line it was because at events most photogs had either Canon or Nikon, sometimes Pentax gear and I was running the KM. A bit unusual and you get a reputation based on your gear and style so if 'I' had ever turned up with Canon (or Nikon, Pentax etc ) it would be the kickoff for some friendly rib sticking from my 'colleagues'. Just the usual sort of fun between competitive guys stuff. Such is life.

Been checking NZ second hand prices. They are quite a bit dearer than Aus prices by about 50%. 450D for $600 -$800 depending on lenses supplied but some bodies are going somewhat cheaper. No hurry