View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Dove (Alan)
Alan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
our earth's axis tilt does change, that I it is not constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt
I agree John F

but It has long been listed as one of the 'constants' like planetary precession Luni - solar precession and general precession in the Astronomical almanacs'

Alan D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alan,

Are you referring to the motion described as Apsidal Precession as depicted in the animated graphic linked below? ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsidal_precession#/media/Filerecessing_Kepler_orbit_280fra mes_e0.6_smaller.gif

Best
JA
Hi JA,

No, but yes, apsidal precession too is a spiral, like al planetary motions, the rotation of the ecliptic', displacement is the similar to precession of the equinoxes. though it is progressing prograde.

Aln D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
I've just found this great quote in Stephen Hawkings' "Brief answers to the Big Questions", in a passage dealing with, amongst other things, ten-dimensional M-theory space:

In three dimensions, planets can have stable orbits around stars. This is a consequence of gravitation obeying the inverse square law, as discovered by Robert Hooke in 1665 and elaborated on by Isaac Newton (p.59)
Interesting, If Hooke said something it would be worth listening to.

I am sorry I am a bit slow with my reply but as usual I am pretty busy but here goes:

This simple geometrical fact reveals that any movement of the equatorial plane of a rotating body carries with it the corresponding movement of its axis, since the axis will always be perpendicular, 90 degrees, to its equatorial plane. This principle applies in spherical as well as plane geometry. So, as the Earth’s equatorial plane is being moved toward the plane of the ecliptic so the North pole of Earth’s axis will correspondingly move toward the pole of the ecliptic by each spiral orbit, producing a continuous decrease in the obliquity. This annual decrease caused by Luni – Solar action, has never been recognised, Instead, the decrease in obliquity it has been attributed to Planetary perturbations for reasons already explained.

There are only two options open, if you declare for a circular orbit that is a notion of perpetual motion. If you declare for a spiral orbit then the orbit is recognised as being a continuous movement toward the centre.
Nature accomplishes this planetary movement with a spiral path of the plane and axis of the sphere. There is no other way the axis or plane can be moved, though perturbations can disturb it. Newton’s fine explanation of the ‘bending moment’ has long been accepted as the primary cause of the precession of the equinoxes, rightly so. This shows that he had, due in no short measure to his short association with Dr Hooke, come to fully understood the Spiral motion of the spheres of the Solar system. Though perhaps not commendable, He did not openly recognise it. We should accept what he needed to do, it was in order to survive.

The consequences of spiral planetary motion during the history of Earth are, dramatic climatic changes, bringing into play a long, cycling interaction between water and ice for many millions of years, we know as the Ice Ages. The annual decrease in the obliquity of the ecliptic is the clue to really understand spiral Planetary motion revealing the consequence of this conflict between Earth’s Spiral Spin and spiral Orbital motion, both driven by the Sun’s gravitational power.

Note,
It is said that the Sun’s gravitational influence on Earth is 500 times greater than that of planetary perturbation.

Cheers Alan

Last edited by RB; 06-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.