Thread: Viewing tonight
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Viewing tonight

Skies clear over Legana (North of Launceston) so out I go. Still finding my way but showing my wife and mum (who is visiting) I was quite pleased and proud to show them Seven Sisters, M42 (is getting easier to find), Betelgeuse, LMC and Sirius. I tried to find the Jewel Box and Eta Carinae but I've got a ruddy gum tree in the way. I'm about to head back out and find Comet Lovejoy. It won't beat me. I've said before, and many on here say the same, the more I get out, the more I'm learning where things are and what they're called. Don't give me a quiz just yet though. I've made my own hand drawn map which is a lot easier. It's certainly helped me tonight. I've got some street lights on the other side of my house across the road and I think it's hindering clear viewing. That is unless my eyes are playing up. The reason I say its the lights is that the LMC loses focus in my eyepiece and seems slightly blurry after a few seconds. Why would you want to do anything else hey? My next trick as I head back out is this comet and Jupiter and just some random looking. I know I should focus on one or two objects and get to know some characteristics, but I'm having too much fun this way. I'll leave the studying for another night.

One thing I have started is a bit of a journal of what I've found, roughly where it is and what I saw. This might help me later too.

Clear skies everyone and good night.