View Single Post
Old 22-02-2019, 09:08 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Man, I'm loving the way this thread is developing! I really had no idea what was going to happen, but it is fabulous, and it is making the much maligned Moon the centre of attenion! I really, really love it!

I never expected a photo of a screenshot, but it really is a quirky take!

And evocative cloud shots, lovely compositions, videos and a blood Moon.

Well, that last lunar eclipse seen from Sydney, I opted for a totally different approach. I knew there would be some sensational photos taken that I couldn't take or match. So, I indulged one of my all too little indulged passions, soft pastels, to produce a couple of very different takes on the eclipse. Soft pastels are a medium that allows you to work quickly to produce an Impressionist style of piece. Fast, brash, details that are hinted at, colourful... There's no time to muck about with details when the scene is changing so fast, you need to smash it out and let the energy of the piece convey the sense of details.

The whole of Moon was done using my binos - I didn't even take a scope down to the Strickland House foreshore where I viewed the eclipse from. And the city skyline is a time lapse of sorts, with the changing Moon dipping behind the City, and trail of plane lights as they crossed in front of the scene.

Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2018 eclipse Moon LR.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	240768 , Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2018 lunar eclipse City LR.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	240769

I also did my own little time lapse video of the eclipse. I had carefully sought work out where the Moon was going to dip behind the Sydney skyline, and felt that the foreshore of Strickland House in Sydney's east was going to see the Moon come very damn close to Center Point Tower. Clouds threatened to spoil the party, but the Moon managed to peek through, bloody red, from behind the clouds just to the left of Sydney Tower, around the 57 second mark of the video. The bright star just above and left of the Moon was Mars.

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 22-02-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo