View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Orestis,

Your report took no patience at all to read mate.

In particular loved your report on the Schroter's Valley and Aristarchus Herodotus region on the Moon. It is probably my favourite lunar object and at the correct angle of illumination it is probably the most 3-D looking thing on the Moon.

Good sketch and it would be helpful to others to note the directions on the sketch. Good advice there from the PGC boy ...

With sketching, I use a little cheat to get things in the correct perspective, proportions and orientation.

With my plaetarium software (Megastar) I can create a chart with a circle overlay showing the exact size of my eyepiece field in the 'scope I'm using, superimposed over the field I'm looking at.

I print that chart and then place the drawing sheet over the chart and trace over that eyepiece field circle and also mark the brightest, say five stars on the paper distributed around the field to use as a "frame" for the actual sketch.

Then take away the chart and do the sketch. It helps me (an absolutely hopeless sketch-artist) make sure the whole thing is in proper proportion and that parts of the cluster aren't stretched or compressed as you run-out of or have fill-in parts a little more compressed than they really are. You can do the same thing drawing any eyepiece object and it helps make sure your're galaxies and nebulae are just the right size.

Best,

Les D