View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 05:40 AM
astro744

But it's not exactly the same as every other moon. See http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?...h=02&year=2019

(If the image of moon is not there look in archive for Feb 18, 2019 - Perigee Supermoon).

See also https://www.timeanddate.com/astronom...ee-apogee.html and http://www.moonconnection.com/apogee_perigee.phtml and many other sites. (Search for apogee and perigee moon).

I do agree though that sometimes the exuberance of the often professional astronomer is disproportionate to the event and often taken out of context.

E.g. In 1986 it was reported that Comet Halley would fly past at 200,000km/h. (I even have a t-shirt saying so). So many people went out on one evening night only to see a comet race past them only to see a faint fuzz ball appearing stationary. This was April 1986 after the comet swung around the Sun and was supposed to be brighter. In the pre dawn hours in March before the comet reached perihelion it put on s spectacular show with a lovely long tail and was visible any clear morning a couple of hours before morning twilight. This sight many people missed because all the reported hype (including from professionals) was to look after perihelion to see the comet at its best. I cannot blame the astronomers for the comet not putting on a show when it was reasonable to expect but somehow all reported hype led to many people out on the evening of closest approach to Earth to watch Comet Halley race past. It is this type of hype that can be discouraging as many people were so disappointed because they expected more.

My all time favourite is "Mars will be bigger than a full Moon". I even raised this with an astronomer once and he said anything that gets people interested is good. BUT NOT MISLEADING FACTS! Yes when at a favourable opposition, Mars as viewed in a telescope, will appear larger than a full Moon viewed unaided. The last two words of the previous sentence are often (nearly always omitted).

You can work this out yourself.
Mars is 25 arcsec in diameter at closest. Moon is approx 30 arcmin or 30 x 60 = 1800 arcsec in diameter. 1800/25 = 72. Therefore at a magnification of 72x, Mars will appear the same size in a telescope as the Moon appears unaided. If Mars is not at closest approach and say 18 arcsec then you need 1800/18 = 100x magnification. You may think this cannot be right as Mars just looks so small but have a look next time and try for a night when the full Moon is near Mars in the sky and then do the comparison with one eye on Mars through the telescope and one eye on the Moon in the sky.

Whenever you come across this 'publicity' about Mars just remember you're not comparing unaided views or magnified views of both at the same time. It is then that you realise it is not really such a wow moment all the hype makes it out to be and this is when one could easily be discouraged rather than encouraged.

Back to the Supermoon what is annoying me now is reports on the early news saying that this Supermoon is also known as the Snow moon; well not in the Southern Hemisphere as this title has no relevance. Aside from all of the hype over Supermoons yes there is a difference in size between apogee and perigee moons and it is significant when comparing photographs of the two side by side but is difficult to see visually with the moon in the sky.