View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
pvelez (Pete)

QSI and guide camera

Hi everyone

I've just purchased a QSI 583wsg. Its a great looking piece of kit - drops the temperature to -15C within a few minutes and is easy to set up.

However, I am being driven driven mad trying to use the OAG component.

Can I ask what guide camera IISers with the QSI use with it? I have an Orion SSAG and while I can bring it to focus, there is too much noise in my screen to allow Maxim to detect when the guide star moves.

My suspicion is that the small prism matched with the RC8 does not produce enough signal for the SSAG ie its not sensitive enough. If thats right, I need to return to the separate guidescope - which defeats the purpose of the QSI or buy a new guider.

I have heard good things about the Lodestar but I don't know if it has a C or T mount fitting that will work with the QSI. The new SBIG guider would be good, but it is not designed to match the QSI - deliberately I suspect. The Atik 16ic is too slow with the downloads to be feasible.

I won't rule out pilot error - again! I've had this issue before with Maxim - I can overcome it with the guidescope if I have nice and bright guidestars to calibrate with - I usually use the Jewel Box for this - and then head over to my target.

I'd be keen to hear from you if you have experience with this

Pete

Suggestions please.