View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLab View Post
I didn't have the heart to tell him that my only thoughts on the subject for the past 40 years ...
In that case I'd stick to buying a nice pair of binoculars and visit the observing nights at a nearby society several times to see if there's a spark, before blowing the cash on a scope you might only use a few times. The resale value of most telescopes is not good even if in "mint" condition, so its best to consider the money spent if you do take the plunge.

Before you buying something you'd better read this, first
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,261,0,0,1,0

As you're not all that enthusiastic yet, I'd hesitate to suggest a Dobsonian. It's quite likely it won't see a lot of use and you may wish for something else. Personally I've concluded its often better to have a compact short refractor for viewing for fun, especially when we go away for a weekend, and a compact telescope suited to viewing the moon and planets. Lastly you may want something that can "dial up" interesting things instead of learn to navigate your way round the sky from an atlas, and can track well enough to keep the planets in view. An interesting view requires a focal ratio f/10 or longer and at least 150mm (6") aperture.

For this reason I'll suggest:

(a) something like a 102mm ED f/7 refractor on an altaz tripod for general viewing, this will be very portable and easy to use; and/or

(b) either the Celestron Nexstar 6SE, or possibly the Meade LX90-ACF 08".

In each case throw in 2-3 midrange widefield eyepieces.

If the "aperture fever" bug bites hard (it might) note you can pick up excellent secondhand 'scopes and eyepieces at a good discount through some of the larger societies (ASNSW for example) as well as through this forum. For example there is a perfectly good 10" Meade going well within your budget, this is fine for visual use:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=35630

Last edited by Wavytone; 06-09-2008 at 01:20 PM.