View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
John K

Latest processing planetary imaging techniques

Hi everyone,

One of the things that I have enjoyed over the years about the IIS community is how everyone has been able to share their knowledge in an open on-line forumn to assist everyone to move forward with better planetary imaging.

In the last few weeks I was visited by someone from O/S who came to AUS to view the eclipse and we got talking about the latest processing techniques on plantetary imaging and for example how guys like Damien Peach is still able to produce amazing photos from low altitude planetary objects.

Have not seen a huge amount of discussion about the latest methods used by everyone to push some boundaries in their planteray processing and thought it worthwhile to revisit this topic.

Other than now using Autostacker2 and starting some research on WinJupos de-rotation, I have to admit my planetary processing has remained the same for several years. Capture with Lucam Recorder -> Stack with Autostakker2 (use to be registax)- > Wavelets in Registax 6 -> Deconvolution in Astra Image - > RGB combining in Astra Image Touching up in photoshop.

Obviously WinJupos derotation is adding another dimension, but it appears that this is still evolving and there is limited info on the best methods there.

Thoughts?? Comments?? Methods??

John K.