View Single Post
Old 14-12-2010, 10:21 PM
0tt0maddox

Hello There

Hi,

My name's Simon and I live in Canberra. I'm pretty new to astronomy. I've been meaning to join this site for a while, and now I've finally gotten around to it.

I've recently been given a basic reflector scope on an incredibly dodgy mount, and when I say dodgy, I mean it would probably move if you were to accidentally breath near it. However as a courtesy to the person who bought it for me I don't want to buy a new one right away.

I have a good pair of binoculars and I've been mapping stars to try and familiarize myself with the sky. Other than that I've just been tearing through as many informative books as possible.

My main problem (other than having to live in a place like Canberra) is that I'm getting a bit lost amongst all of the information. Does anybody have any tips on what aspects of information I should be learning as a priority, i.e. learning moon phases, constellations, how to read bearings etc.? Also If anyone knows of any amateur communities in the ACT that I might be able to join?

I would appreciate any help.