View Single Post
Old 22-11-2016, 11:57 AM
colinmlegg (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Yes, it's the same principle as photography. As you note, a 3D moon taken on different sides of the earth could not include any foreground, as they would be too different (obviously). The word for this is 'retinal rivalry'.

Anything should work, as long as you can get a different view in the left and right eyes. You could even use the rotation of a planet or the sun as a means to fake 3D. Terrestrial planets may work better as the rotation on gas bodies is differential between the poles and the equator, but how much of a difference that makes remains to be seen. Anyone want to send me some data? Any images with around 5 degrees or rotation between pics?
Damien Peach's latest Jupiter animation should work nicely - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bIkCVolXDk

As for other candidates for 3D night photography, maybe concentrate on the ionosphere or near space environment? Meteors, meteor smoke trails, airglow, aurora, rocket stage plumes, ISS, satellites, etc. Personally, I've tried meteors. During one Perseid night I ran 2 cameras separated by 10 km baseline and managed to get a couple of meteors in 3D. The trick is to synchronise the cameras over long distance.