View Single Post
Old 17-01-2024, 02:48 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Thanks for the info Joe, I have a cable release that I sometimes use on the my 60 da camera and I tested it on the K3 mono and it works. The cable release came with an extension lead which is a great addition to the setup.
Would love to see a Backyard Pentax one day, wishful thinking.
Regards,
Hi Wayne,

The $30 intervalometer gives me a lot more flexibility. In winter I can even set up a whole run and go inside to stay warm or head over to my big dob and do visual.

My VC200L has a Vixen R&P focuser that doesn't slip and once the scope acclimatises, the focus doesn't shift. I do check the focus at change of targets. My k1 has a HDMI output so if you can't get the articulating screen into a comfortable position, you can relay the display to a HDMI monitor. I have an 11" car dvd monitors with HDMI input that only needs a 12V supply to operate. I find the articulating screen is pretty good and I very rarely use the external monitor.

The Pentax DA* 300mm f4 EDIF is an amazing lens for astro. Mine is pin sharp to the corners at f4. There is a bit of vignetting that can be flattened out but it is otherwise excellent. The 1970's Pentax M 50mm f1.7 is also excellent. Good at f2.8 with a little coma in the corners, and excellent/superb right to the corners at f4-f5.6.

Joe