View Single Post
Old 13-01-2024, 10:42 AM
Wombat (Wayne)

Pentax K3 MKIII Monochrome dslr

Hello,
Is anyone using the Pentax K3 monochrome for astrophotography?
I bought one before xmas and is a great camera for general photography and I have tried it for astro work and it is not to bad to use for astro work although there are some limitations to using it.
Pentax use to sell software for this camera and their other dslr cameras but they have stopped producing it even though they still do updates for that software, that could be because a lot of dslr's sold today have Bluetooth and WIFI built in. There is an app for the K3 that I have used for the astro work and that does work great except you can't do the bulb setting and you can only get a maximum of 30 secs in the manual setting and can adjust certain settings such as iso. The app supports Bluetooth and WIFI.

To test the sensitivity of the camera I took a guided 30 sec shot of the Witch Head Nebula, no filters, 55mm lens, once the image downloaded to phone the only thing I could see was stars. After processing photoshop I surprised to see the Witch Head, several more images stacked I think would have given a great result.
If the camera was supported by software something like Backyard EOS would make it great.
Anyway I like the camera and I intend do some more astro work with it.
Regards,