View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I shoot mostly dslr on tripod. Yes its possible, but i havent been able to get a decent looking shot to show from my efforts yet. Plus getting the camera pointed at the correct patch of sky proved tricky for my eyes. A light pollution filter will help but will also reduce your exposures (so again, more subs to compensate.) Smallest f-stop you can use. Find the longest exposure time you can use at that patch of sky while maintaining acceptably round stars (I try for length to be less than twice the width). it will take hundred of exposures. Try to keep helix in centre of shot where lens distortions are least. I take note of which direction the stars are moving across my frame and try placing my target towards the bottom of frame, then lock my remote trigger which fires off 100 shots for me, then I recheck drift and where my target is before locking trigger again. rinse and repeat, readjust framing when target is nearing top of frame so its drift is always across the middle so most frames are at least distortion. I prefer to go light on ISO at around 1600, above that you have a lot of chroma noise to remove thats on top of a colour target so you often lose good signal or just end up with very noticeable noise. Trust in your processing workflow to reveal the target rather than boost in camera so you can see it on screen. Just ensure the stars on/around the target are in your frames.

Good luck, its a tough target and a long focal length is preferable.