Thread: Collimation
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Yep, too many people see "laser" and think its the right tool for the job when it isn't.
I bought my GSO laser from an astro retailer here in Oz. They told me nothing about how to use it. I was very inexperienced and naive, and even if the retailer did tell me how to use it, I certainly would not have understood how involved the collimation process is (to start with), and I may even have questioned if the laser was faulty, or my scope was faulty. Nor does the retailer have time to explain this. It's a crappy situation really.

Now, collimating a scope is not hard. It is only hard at the start when you are trying to get your head around the concept. Just remember that you are just ALIGNING the optics, that's it, pure and simple. The biggest hurdle with collimation is the bloody word "collimation"

In a way it is a good thing that one's collimating prowess takes this long winded way. Good because it progresses with one's experience, understanding and proficiency at using all this gear. In the end, tweaking one's scope takes just moments, and it becomes second nature & a part of the setting up process, and a way of getting in-tune with your scope, as these moments spent touching up the alignment at the start of the night will mean that your scope is then giving you the very best performance it can. And this is to your benefit.

Alex.