View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

In fact I suspect many of the astrophotographers enjoy reading these reports too Suzy. Very few wouldn't have done at least some visual before being led astray, and it does make you feel like you've shared a bit of the night (even if you've been clouded out for eternity in reality ). I promised myself when I bought my latest scope I would keep good observations, spending many hours tweaking the format I would use/used. I managed to keep that up for 6 or 9 months before the imaging bug really bit. Even now I get a lot of satisfaction making notes each night I'm out, albeit usually simple text files in Notepad now I tend to have a laptop with me all the time - a text file for each night saved into the directory along with all my raw image files. I like to record more than object/exposure times/filters/etc though - is nice to read back about people you were with, visitors, or even how noisey the neighbours or dog next door have been. It certainly evokes more memories when you're reading back later.

Ron, you're not wrong about that carpet - I have fond memories of grovelling on it while chasing a couple of very low galaxies on the northern horizon.

Hmmm, in fact, digging back through the archives, have found the text file for that night, with extract for latter part of night below!:

Sat 28/2/09 - 2nd Feb visit to Ron's, 130am:
Focus soft all night. First time used red cellophane on screen, and really wasn’t careful enough checking focus. Particularly disappointed with my first extra long exposure efforts on the Sombrero – mount really was tracking poorly.

Visual: M97 - Faint puff ball in Ron’s scope, kneeling on the ground, but clearly visible, like a ghost…

M51 - Beautiful twin galaxies. Ron says he can see M101 from here too….

NGC 4565 - Beautiful dust lane visible, with faint star like supernova below and brightish star away on other side of galaxy. Very nice in the dob!! Last object for the night before retiring to tent about 3am!!

I think my observation notes could use some work, but I can still vividly remember the scene, the dew and the objects reading that. +1 for obs reports

Last edited by RobF; 09-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.