View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecepticon View Post
Howdy Cluster,
How does the telescope perform for visual observing? Does it give you reasonable views of the objects you are trying to image? A small reflector like you have has only a very low theoretical magnification ability, say, 300 or so(guessing) so using a 3x Barlow may also be ruining your images. As suggested in an earlier post, for imaging(and a newbie),
I did try visual observing first and was very disappointed with the results. Only later did I try imaging (camera adapter, with 15mm plossl inside) in order to demonstrate the type of view I had. The images in my first post are a good example of what can be seen visually.

A 15mm eyepiece only provides 50x magnification in my telescope, so the newbie trick of going way overboard with the barlows isn't my problem Trying shorter eyepieces or adding a balow just made the blurry patches larger.

I have not performed a star test as collimation tutorials suggest doing it as a last fine tuning step. When I get my long tube Cheshire I'll try collimating again and do a star test. Through all my efforts so far I've probably just made things worse. Hopefully a friendly guru at ASSA can help out this weekend