Thread: Maxim and QHY5
View Single Post
Old 19-12-2009, 02:56 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I generally use it on Auto... it selects the best star in the FOV for guiding, You can select a guide star manually, by taking an exposure with the guider, and clicking on the star you want it to use... In the guiding window (This is from memory mind you, so if its a little off, forgive me) there should be a field called "guide star position" or something to that effect. when you click in the previously captured image, you'll see its position (in pixel X/Y) displayed. when you click auto it will pick a star and put its position in that field.... then click calibrate, it will move that star +/- in both RA and DEC. Provided no errors are encountered (ie. guide star not moving far enough etc.) you then click track and away it goes. If you get errors about star not moving far enough in a particular axis, just increase the step size in that axis, or alternatively the aggressiveness.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to point my scope at the sky at some stage over these holidays.. If I do, I'll be sure to post back with a full detailed write up of guiding in MaximDL with a QHY5/Orion SSAG...

Cheers.