View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Portable Mounts for DSLR Widefields

Hi everyone,

I need your advice please With my CCD, time available and equipment all gone or diminishing, I am considering ditching DSO shooting altogether now. It's been a good few years and I would like to take a break from the 'hardcore' aspect of deep space astrophotography and focus more on widefields

Seems like there are quite a few options now for portable tracking mounts (AstroTrac, Star Lapse, EQ3 Pro etc) but hard to find examples of anyone using telephoto lenses (>100mm) for more than 2min subs. I have tried searching past posts but most do not cover this range or are out dated now. Perhaps I have answered my own question I am hoping to have a setup which:

*Allows me to shoot up to 300mm (100mm absolute minimum)
*Allow for up to 4 minute subs at these focal ranges (2min absolute minimum)
*Does not need a computer to operate (ST4 port would be a nice to have if standalone guiders can be recommended or required to meet the above)
*Can take between 2.5kg (DSLR only) to 4kg (if guiding is possible)

I do appreciate that the above requires very good PA and is quite a feat to achieve given the nature of portable mounts. What are your thoughts? Is such a functionality possible or do I have unrealistic expectations I am not looking for anything that has to be airline-friendly, but something which I can very easily put in the car and set up/pack down quickly. I have a NEQ6 but is a major pain to move around for someone with a slipped disk I am considering selling it to cover funds for this setup.

Thanks and clear skies!