Thread: Full Disco Mars
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2020, 11:33 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Really good LIS.

In all my years, never managed more than a fuzzy blob.

You must know what you are doing!

Thanks Peter. Mars can be a challenging target. I wouldn't say that I know what I'm doing it's more luck than anything. It also helps when Mars has a close opposition cycle as it does now. Give us small aperture guys a chance to see some finer details. If there was ever a time to image Mars with a small scope it would be now, as it won't be this size again for another 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
That's a great image of the Red planet,plenty of surface detail

Such a difficult planetary target

Well done !!

Looking at your set up -

130mm APO focal length 910mm
Focal length f7
2 x Barlow used

So you were imaging that night at f14

Camera pixel size 2.9uM

General rule of thumb for Planetary Imaging

Bad seeing 3.5 x pixel size ( focal ratio f10 )

Average seeing 5 x pixel size ( focal ratio f14.5 ) *****

Good seeing 7 x pixel size ( focal ratio f20 )

Any idea what the seeing was like ?
Was Mars bouncing around or fairly stable during your sampling ?
Just curious
Thanks Martin. I find the 290MM to be a perfect match for this scope. However, I want to pair it with a 2.5x Powermate as I feel it would be the absolute sweet spot in terms of quantity and quality. In theory 3x magnification would provide best results with a f/ratio of 21 but in reality those conditions are so rare that it's not worth chasing.

There was a little bouncing which can be seen in the frames below but still very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etill View Post
That's awesome, I did 10,000 frames several times over near the same time with an IMX290 (not the zwo though) and stacked the best 10% and it's not even close. I used my 200mm F/4 with a 5 x ES focal extender so probably a little too far.

When you say LRGB, what filters are you using and how are you capturing?
Thanks Elliot. Here's a pic to give you an idea of the session. I hope it explains things enough. Filters are ebay specials I got a couple of years ago. I can't remember the price but they were very cheap. $20 each or something crazy like that. Hopefully one day I can get a set of Chromas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mars_Acquisition_Data_11-10-2020.jpg)
127.6 KB60 views