View Single Post
Old 17-10-2012, 12:04 AM
colinmlegg (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffsims View Post
I thought I should add that one interesting possibility is using compact Canon digicams for time lapse. Using the CHDK firmware hack, which runs off your SD card, allows access all sorts of features that are otherwise not available, including intervalometers (via custom scripts). There is the possibility to write some quite intricate scripts, although at least a few already exist that dynamically change the exposure time to get the optimum exposure, while keeping the aperture/ISO constant. I haven't run a test yet, but considering the simplicity, it appears to give good results.

The main benefit I see here is that you don't really have much to lose (since they are presumably not your primary camera[s]). Additionally, you could do things like point them away from the Sun (to capture people operating equipment), or any other interesting angle you can think of, while reserving the primary DSLR camera for the full frame landscape sequence.

Incidentally, I have two quite nice newish compacts from the last two David Mailin competitions, so I think I may as well put them to good use.

I am still thinking about the best way to do the primary sequence, but having multiple angles at least means you can edit and cut in various sequences throughout the partial phases, for example, to make an otherwise "boring" and long ingress/egress sequences, seem more interesting.
Geoff, re. Canon point & shoots, I believe the minimum exposure step is 1/32 stop, compared with 1/8 for DSLRs. So setting the exposure to auto should produce fairly clean footage with only minimal flicker. Certainly worth a shot.