View Single Post
Old 21-12-2019, 09:56 PM
hamishbarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I am also preparing spectrograph fot eta event.
Especially because the company I work for is in serious trouble, and I may find myself in retirement sooner than expected.... so I will hopefully have much more free time for astronomy.

At this moment I am thinking of my Hartridge spectrometer, coupled with optical cable to C11.
Another one is Star analyser (100l/mm) mounted inside c11.

3D printer will come here very handy...

for star analyser: I have had some good results using a SA100 and wedge prism set partly inside/downstream of an orion thin off axis guider. I had to do this because with the SA100 upstream of the off axis guider, the dispersion gets excessive (and needlessly dim, lowering S/N ratio - I was trying to image last years nova in the SMC which was getting faint).

lots of mucking around was required to get the guide camera and dslr parfocal.

In the end I had to just wrap the SA100/prism with rolled up magazine pages to bulk out to the diameter of a 10mm long T thread spacer. 3d printing would have been handy!

Now I have the camera in good focus on my L200, and also have rigged up power for the calibration lamp, and my (ex Logan Nicholson) secondhand CGEM mount working. The only part of the puzzle remaining is to move the mirror cell of my 200mm f6 a bit up the tube, as I can't get sufficient back focus to focus on the L200 slit. Now that it's the xmas break I have a chance.

And then there's the exciting developments with Betelgeuse getting a bit dimmer than usual which I should get spectra for.