View Single Post
Old 19-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
My experiences have been mostly quite favourable with my combination of ISO800 & 300s frames with an EOS 60D, no mods. I picked ISO800 after a bit of reading, and haven't varied it hugely over the past year or so, partly because the results seemed decent. Early tests didn't show a great change from 800 to 1600, and so I went with the better depth of the 800. I seemed to get better data off the 5min rather than 2-3min exposures. I've had issues on warm summer nights or on hazy nights, but most of the year, or mostly below 20C it seems fine, even for extended series of shots. My usual process would be 300s frames, 5s gap between frames. That includes pretty much all the images in this gallery. I've had occasional issues with background grain, especially on warmer nights, and they are probably the ones where I should've shortened the exposure, but most nights it's OK. But I suspect it'll be different for different cameras, and there's probably better settings I should be using!
Thanks for that Andy, during winter when the ambient temperature is around 2ºC sounds like it won't be a problem with a few minutes exposure.