Thread: Mirror flop???
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2011, 11:04 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Allan

Using a side-by-side set up I once discovered that the grub screws on my after market focuser had worked loose and the camera cable drag was sufficient to cause slight movement as the mount climbed, even though the guide scope was showing perfect tracking.

All I can suggest, is check that all fasteners, locking screws, etc. are tight, just in case something has become loose.

Cheers

Dennis
I tried to see where flex could be comming from but failed. I was using rings with 3 screw tighteners on each ring. Ill try solid ring mounts and see if this makes a difference, as well as the obvious stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Mirror flop on SCT's is an urban myth...
There's confusion about focus shifting and the mirror flopping around on the baffle when the scope changes orientation across the meridian.
I asked this question on another forum almost three years ago and requested copies of images showing definate mirror flop.....I'm still waiting.
I think a more sensible answer lies with the guide set-up flexing....
You can run the main mirror up and down the baffle a couple of times to minimise focuser shift - I do this when I remember.....
Ive heard of driving the mirror up and down a few times to redistribute the grease so Ill try that. Thanks for the reminder.