Thread: DSLR upgrade
View Single Post
Old 22-07-2014, 10:48 AM
archioptic (Nathan)

DSLR upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my camera sometime soon. I currently use a Nikon D3100 which has been working great, but I feel my final image quality, particularly in regards to noise levels, is limiting. I image through both my scope (Skywatcher BD ED100) and camera lenses so I'd like to stick with a DSLR for now as opposed to moving to a CCD imaging system.

I've been considering purchasing the Nikon D600 for the full frame bonus of better ISO performance but I'm concerned that the vignetting on the scope would be excessive. I've also been looking at sticking with the crop sensor and going for the D7000 or D7100 but I'm not too sure if the raw image quality would be worth the upgrade from the D3100.

Because all my current lenses fit my Nikon I'd like to stick with the Nikon system, but I'd definitely consider moving to Canon if the pros out-weighed the cons.

I guess what I'm asking is:
Is it worth moving to full frame from crop sensor? Anyone familiar with a FF&ED100 set up who could comment?
Is it worth moving to Canon at this point? Besides the software support available is there any other benefit? I've been managing fine without it so far.
With a moderate budget in mind (<$1600) are there any other options I should consider?

Any help is greatly appreciated.