View Single Post
Old 27-10-2013, 04:28 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Steve,

There are so many variables to your question that I'm sure there is no clear answer! Certainlty there are absolutely terrific non-washed out images taken through Astronomik filters. Just look at Mike Sidonio's for example! In my opinion changing your filters is not the answer.

A more likely explanation is that it comes from the way you are procesing your data, or the amount of colour data that you collect (or both!). I'm fairly new to imaging but have found colour combining one of the hardest things to get right. It depends so much on the software. I had horrid results trying to use CCDSoft and vastly better results using CCDStack. One very helpful book you might want to read is by Ron Wodaski "Zone System For Astro Imaging." It contains terrific advice for colour balancing. Also, if you use CCDStack (from CCDWare) Adam Block's tutorials on CCDStack and Photoshop are great and well worth the price.

I think you might try boosting your colour using "lab colour" in photoshop. Perhaps you have tried this technique already (?). I find that it certainly makes for a vibrant image if used properly. Here is a non-astro imaging tutorial that ought to work very well:

http://digital-photography-school.co...with-photoshop

(If you don't like using curves to bring out the colour in the Lab colour channels you can try adjusting contrast instead.)

Peter