Thread: Filters
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2013, 07:04 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Well, I'm just going through this exercise myself and I'm going with Baader as a compromise.

First, I think the lum filter Baader offers is IR blocking (which in my case is essential for a refractor). The narrow band filters also seem to be a compromise in bandwidth compared to Astronomiks (wide) and Astrodon (quite narrow), and price wise fall into a somewhat middle ground which also makes sense. It didn't hurt that there are some beautiful test photos using a TEC140 with Baader either.)

But, my main reason for going this way over Astronomik is the slight notch between Red/Green to deal with Sodium light pollution which the Astronomik's don't have. The Astrodon filters have this notch (larger!) as well but cost much more. I plan to try either a Hutech or Astronimik CLS light Pollution filter in place of the luminance filter. This combination of filters might provide a reasonable light pollution combination but does not address Mercury LP...

I have tentatively compared both Hutech and Astronomik LP filters using a light box...perhaps not a fair way to compare. Compared to using no filter at all the Hutech takes 2X the exposure length to reach the same adu, the CLS 3.4X (big surprise!)

Peter