View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Nikon doesn't label their lenses as high or low quality. They consider all of their lenses to be optimal for a certain purpose and budget.

Most of their cheap kit zooms are excellent performers in terms of contrast and resolution, but in order to fit the target price range they contain design compromises such as leaving certain amounts of geometric distortion or CA, for example. Those aberrations are easily dealt with in PP (or in-camera in most cases these days) and don't diminish the usefulness of the lenses for their intended purpose.

Also, as mentioned, Nikon has a line of lenses for their DX format DLSRs, which are (usually) not useful with FX cameras. DX lenses are generally cheaper than FX lenses, but not automatically inferior.

Nikon has a 300mm f/4 lens, an 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom, a 200-400mm f/4 zoom as well as fast 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4 and 800mm f/5.6 tele primes (I have never seen the latter in the flesh).

I'm not too familiar with Nikon's compact camera line-up, somebody else will be able to enlighten you there. I don't generally consider their compact cameras as desirable as those by some other makers. The Nikon 1 system is an exception, though.

Cheers
Steffen.