Thread: Next equipment
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Donga (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
If you do decide to get a collimator, the 2"-1.25" adapter could possibly be used in your Barlow too.
Ah I didnt know you could use an adapter to use a 1.25" EP on a 2" barlow. I might have to look into that. Any difference optically thab uaing it on a 1.25"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Adam,

I have a Bintel laser collimator and an Orion lasermate collimator I use on my 10” dob and 6” reflector. Good collimation is a must and gets easier to do each time I get the scopes out

I generally use the following eye piece focal lengths -

Stars , DSO’s 10mm to 30 mm

Planets 5mm to 10mm

Moon 5mm to 20mm

I don’t use Barlow’s

AFOV, Eye relief and Exit pupil are important factors to consider when selecting eye pieces

If you can get a copy of William Paolini’s book “ choosing and using Astronomical Eye pieces” it is an excellent resource to totally understand eye pieces in amateur astronomy. I thoroughly recommend the book

Good luck

Clear skies !
Theres $30 difference between those 2 collimators at bintel. Is there mucj difference between them?

Out of that range im missing the 5mm. Its a choice between a barlow to get my 10mm or 12.5mm down around there or just buy an EP. Im leaning towards the barlow to use my existing ones. I want to experiment and get an understanding with what I have in regards to finding my preference with AFOV and eye relief etc before dropping some coin in a decent eyepiece.

Thanks for the advice!