Thread: Next equipment
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 AM
Donga (Adam)

Next equipment

Gday guys.

Ive been enjoying my telescope (6 inch dob) and have been getting some decent viewing in as much as I can lately and am really enjoying it.
Have recently been able to catch Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and some various nebula and of course, the moon.
As someone completely new its been interesting seeing what differences eyepieces make.
Apart from the standard 10 and 25mm ones that came with the scope I bough some various others from a fellow member, which are..

Meade 5000 1.25" (32mm I think)
Williams Optics 1.25" SPL Series 12.5mm
Seibert Optics Ultra Series Super Wide 2" 18mm
Seibert Optics Regular Telecentric Barlow 2x

What would you recommend that I would get some use out of next? I have a couple of things in mind and would appreciate any input.

Eyepiece. From what Ive read I should be able to use a shorter length eyepiece on my telescope, perhaps around 5-6mm? Would I be better off buying a 1.25" 2x or 2.5x barlow to use with my existing eyepieces instead? Any suggestions either way?

Collimator. Im going to need one sooner rather than later. Are the cheap (sub $50) ebay laser collimators a waste of money or should they seeve me ok? Also with this my focuser is 2" so should I make sure I have the tooling for my collimator to do that or use my 1.25" eyepiece adapter? Im presuming its a cheap focuser/adapter so not sure whats the best to go with.

Filters. I definately want a lunar filter of sorts but what else would be useful? Planets, nebula interest me at the moment and with all the discussion on double stars lately I want to trt amd spot some of these.

With the plethora of cheap options out there for collimators, barlows, eyepieces and filters out there is it best to steer clear of them or will some of them prove handy. Like most hobbies im sure you get what you pay for to a certain extent so I would rather save a bit longer and buy something that Im not going to want/need to replace quickly. From my use of the search function the cheap stuff seems very hit and miss. Some have ok results some of it is rubbish.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions

Last edited by Donga; 12-03-2018 at 04:55 AM.